Friday, February 24, 2012

beauty


I'm not one to run forward with a flag for a cause, passionate and fuming, ready to take down those that oppose my stance. (And I don't mean that to say, I don't have strong views on certain things, it's just that I tend to be pretty even keel) But after viewing this short video and reading this article something hit me:
http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/24/10498893-teen-girls-ask-the-internet-am-i-ugly

This story hit me. It hit me because it's so close to home. I've struggled there, I have friends who have struggled there, and I walk by so many beautiful girls at school, work, in town, every single day, that look in the mirror and ask that question. The one question, some are bold enough to ask, flat out, but others hide inside, truly wanting an answer, but maybe fearing what they'll hear. 
"Am I beautiful?"
It breaks my heart. I hear that and all I want to do is scream "YES!! You are beautiful! You are exquisitely unique and wonderfully made! And the Creator of the Universe looks at you in awe of his creation, calling you to Himself, calling you to His security and love."
You may have heard the "you are beautiful" message before. You may be saying, "Okay, yeah, whatever. It's not like I haven't been told that atleast once before, and yeah it felt good. But what about a week later? A month later? A year later? I still wake up sometimes and ask myself that question." So do I.
But I wonder how our view would change, if instead of looking in the mirror, instead of looking at comments on our facebook photos, instead of manipulating conversation so that someone will affirm us; what if in that moment, as that question wells up within us, instead of looking to all of those others things to tell us our worth-
we asked God this simple question,
"Am I beautiful?"
Because this God created the Heavens and the Earth. He placed each star in the sky, positioned it perfectly, gave it it's light, and said "Shine!" And that's what they do, each and every night without fail. I am confident that every night I can walk out on my front porch and see the sky lit up, stars precisely scattered, lovely in simplicity, but beautiful in complexity. Simple, yet stunning.
That's you. Lovely. Beautiful. Complex. Stunning.
You have been placed in this moment perfectly, positioned just right, given a light, and Jesus is calling you to Shine!
I promise you, I'm trying my hardest not to sound cliche, but it's true. When it all comes down to it, Jesus loves you. His words, the Truth spoken directly from His lips, are Forever. They aren't a temporary comment, they are for Eternity. And when the God of all Creation says to you,
"You are beautiful, my daughter, my love." I don't think that should be taken lightly.
Because think about it-the God who created Earth, the stars, pomegrantes, the wind, little birdies and flowers, the God who sent Jesus, who said, "let me take on their sin, so that they may have everlasting life", the God who woke you up this morning, who is the Provider, the Guardian, Papa, God Almighty, the First and Last, Jesus, the Savior, the Redeemer, the One and Only, YAHWEH,
he says, "You are beautiful. Let that be enough. Come to me. I love you."

Isn't that wonderful? Isn't that delightful? There aren't enough whimsical, lovely words that could ever display the awe those words, that Truth, creates in me. He is good. He is SO good. Come to Him. Let Him wrap you in His arms because you are BEAUTIFUL, love. Just ask God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment