Sunday, January 1, 2012

that overwhelmed feeling


I had a conversation with a friend recently about things that made us feel overwhelmed. Then I went to a shopping mall today. Yeah, needless to say, all the things we talked about came in to play as I quite literally spun in circles with a headache and no idea where I was. I really don't like that feeling. Of not knowing where I am or how to get back to where I started. And if I can't figure that out in a department store, how in the world am I suppose to maneuver everyday life?
"Well," Jesus says, "you're not."
My flesh recoils at those words. Because that means I CANNOT do it on my own. But I try. I try so hard. To make sure everything's in place, to align everything, schedule everything, have control over everything.
But then my good friend Jesus just chuckles and says, "Oh dear, come to me. You don't have to worry your sweet little head about all of that. And there's no reason to either, because you have no control over it all. I do."
I wonder sometimes why I so easily am alluded by the lie that I have control of my life. It's funny because I don't conciously wake up and decide I'm going to plan out every little aspect of my day and make sure I'm prepared for any interruption. It's strange. I feel sometimes like it's second nature. That's why my purse can never be too small, there always has to be a certain amount of stuff in it. Or why I walk out of my house every morning with three to four bags. Because if I do this or that, or if I need that, or if a friend needs this. Then I will be prepared.
But there have been those moments, and they draw me in with their simplicity and whimsy. That day, I spontaneously go somewhere, and no I didn't pack my swimsuit, but by golly I'm going to just swim in my shorts and t-shirt. Or when I forgot that extra bag at home, so I have to be creative or just a little icky and run without socks or wrap a friends gift in a paper bag. Those silly little moments. Those are when Jesus reminds me what freedom tastes like.

Ahh, the refreshing lyrics of the song "Suitcases" by Dara Maclean:

How can you move when they're weighing you down

What can you do when you're tied to the ground, yeah

You carry your burdens, heavy like gravity

Just let them go now, there's freedom in release



You can't run when you're holding suitcases

It's a new day throw away your mistakes and open up your heart

Lay down your guard, you don't have to be afraid



Just breathe, your load can be lifted

There's a better way when you know you're forgiven

Open up your heart, lay down your guard

You don't have to be afraid



Can you imagine what it's like to be free

Well, send those bags packing, they're not what you need

Abandon your troubles by the side of the street

Just let them go now, believe me



You can't run when you're holding suitcases
Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com

It's a new day throw away your mistakes and open up your heart

Lay down your guard, you don't have to be afraid



Just breathe, your load can be lifted

There's a better way when you know you're forgiven

Open up your heart, lay down your guard

You don't have to be afraid



There's nothing holding you back now, just run



You can't run when you're holding suitcases

It's a new day throw away your mistakes and open up your heart

Lay down your guard, you don't have to be afraid



Just breathe, your load can be lifted

There's a better way when you know you're forgiven

Open up your heart, lay down your guard

You don't have to be

You don't have to be afraid



How lovely is that? So sweet, such a good reminder. So I guess I simply wrote a lot to say, I'm still learning. Still learning what love is. What True Freedom is. And what a wonderful awe-inspiring Savior my Best Friend is.
I hope everyone had a marvelous New Years! And that this year, you will walk by faith, hand in hand, with the one and only Redeemer and Creator of True Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment